[Haskell-cafe] LLVM, type-level?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Dec 7 19:31:19 CET 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Lally Singh wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>  I'm generating a structure definition from input, and would like to
> generate some LLVM code that can use it.  I see an 'alloca' function
> in LLVM.Core that may do the trick, but takes a static type (Ptr a),
> which I wouldn't have.  Is there a dynamic variant?  I'm currently
> generating a TypeDesc Struct type.

  How much flexibility do you need? Is the user really allowed to specify
an arbitrary 'struct' declaration? This could be a security hole.
  If you really want it, I think you would have to use existential
quantification in order to construct a user defined type at runtime.

> Also, is everything under LLVM.Core.* private (not LLVM.Core, but
> LLVM.Core.Util,etc)?  I saw from some blog posts that Core.Util has a
> function for (I think) getting the a function's parameters, but I
> can't seem to find a way to access it.  Is there another way to get
> the arguments to a function?

I do not understand. The example you posted recently, was a function with
parameters. Isn't that what you need?