[Haskell-cafe] Question: mime-mail and base64 encoding

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue Dec 7 06:27:33 CET 2010

On 7 December 2010 13:42, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've gotten a request for the mime-mail package that I'd like some
> input on. Right now, there's the ability to fully specify whether or
> not to base64-encode each part in a message, but the included
> simpleMail function defaults to non-encoded parts for both its HTML
> and plain text alternatives. This has apparently caused some issues
> where long HTML strings have been word-wrapped at bad locations,
> causing breakage in the meaning of the markup.
>
> The request is to make both the HTML and plain text parts use base64
> encoding by default. This *seems* to me to make a lot of sense, since
> it will ensure that your message arrives exactly as you intended it,
> and will ensure that any non-ASCII code points don't get killed
> somewhere along the way. On the other hand, I'm not sure what client
> support is like for base-64 encoding. Don't we need to leave *some*
> form of non-encoded data for less sophisticated email clients?

What does the wrapping here? My understanding of the symptom is that
newlines are sometimes inserted between the < and / of a closing HTML
tag, breaking the tag and leaving stray markup in the file.

Would it be possible to either not do the wrapping, or to avoid
putting newlines inside a tag?

Conrad.