[Haskell-cafe] Trying out GHC 7

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 6 21:49:00 CET 2010

On 06/12/2010 06:04 PM, Don Stewart wrote:
> Andrew, if you have a bug report, please use the bug tracker:

 From what I've seen, the GHC devs already have vastly more bug reports
than they know what to do with. I tend to hessitate filing tickets until
I'm sure I'm looking at an actual bug, rather than just a
misunderstanding on my part.

> Keep your reports concise and to-the-point, for the best hope of getting
> useful stuff done.

There's actually a couple of seperate issues there, which should
presumably end up being seperate tickets. The fact that, out of the box,
dynamic linking fails is a bug. The fact that I can't work out the
reason or rhyme behind where the DLLs get put is more sort of a "hey
guys, I'm not really sure what you were going for here" type of thing
than an actual /bug/.

I don't know if it's worth filing a ticket for prior versions of GHC
failing to build dynamically in a less than graceful way. On one hand,
the problem doesn't exist in GHC7. On the other hand, maybe we want to
record this information anyway?

Regarding the documentation, what's the best way to fix this? Do I just
file a bug against every sentence that's wrong, or would it be quicker
for me to actually download a copy of the source and fix the problems
myself? (I can probably fix some of it myself, but in other cases I
actually don't know what the correct information is, so it would have to
be written by somebody who knows what they're talking about.)