[Haskell-cafe] Cabal, xmonad-contrib, X11-xft, pkg-config ... questioning my sanity

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Dec 6 12:02:49 CET 2010

In short: I can't cabal install xmonad-contrib.

Longer version:

It a appears that a program which does not exist on my computer seems
to insist on a package version which does not exist in my universe,
I'm starting to wonder whether I have lost my marbles. Could some kind
soul please point me in some sensible direction?

cabal install xmonad-contrib
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring X11-xft-0.3...
cabal: pkg-config version >=0.9.0 is required but it could not be found.
X11-xft-0.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
xmonad-contrib-0.9.1 depends on X11-xft-0.3 which failed to install.

cabal install x11-xft
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring X11-xft-0.3...
cabal: pkg-config version >=0.9.0 is required but it could not be found.
X11-xft-0.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

X11-xft version 0.9.0 doesn't even exist, as far a I can tell: 0.3
seems to be the highest. So what is making cabal believe that such a
version is needed? Is it pkg-config?

I'm not at all familiar with pkg-config, and, as far as I can tell
it's not even installed on the Mac on which I am trying to do this.
Curiously, its man page *does* work (it's in /usr/X11/man, for some
reason). Does Cabal have some sort of embedded pkg-config?