[Haskell-cafe] Storables and Ptrs

Tyler Pirtle teeler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 05:45:31 CET 2010

Hi cafe,

I'm just getting into Foreign.Storable and friends and I'm confused
about the class storable. For GHC, there are instances of storable for
all kinds of basic types (bool, int, etc) - but I can't find the
actual declaration of those instances.

I'm confused that it seems that all Storable instances operate on a
Ptr, yet none of these types allow access to an underlying Ptr. I
noticed that it's possible via Foreign.Marshal.Utils to call 'new' and
get a datatype wrapped by a Ptr, but this isn't memory managed - I'd
have to explicitly free it? Is that my only choice?

Is there a way that given just simply an Int I could obtain a Ptr from
it, and then invoke the storable functions on it? Or for that matter,
if I go and create some new data type, is there some generic
underlying thing (ghc-only or otherwise) that would let me have a Ptr
of it?

Thanks,

Tyler