[Haskell-cafe] Offer to mirror Hackage

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sun Dec 5 17:23:21 CET 2010

Florian Lengyel <florian.lengyel at gmail.com> writes:

> Why is there even any consideration of some committee if someone wants to
> mirror the Hackage site? Why not mirror the site?

  Alright, Mr. Wiseguy," she said, "if you're so clever, you tell us
  what colour it should be."

We can either let Dan set up a mirror, and add it to the haskell.org DNS
(or just let it live at a different address), and have a mirror up in a
couple of hours -- or we can set up 501(c)(3)s (whatever they are),
decide on a payment service, write bylaws, hire lawyers etc.  All in the
name of "not-dealing-with-this-shit"¹?

In my experience, everything is a lot simpler if you can avoid dealing
directly with money.  The current problem is that hackage has sometimes
been unstable, having a mirror would fix or at least alleviate that.

¹  As argued in the cited Reddit thread. Okay, in all fairness, the
"shit" being referred to is the current non-redundant DNS configuration,
not people volunteering to solve technical issues. :-)