[Haskell-cafe] Offer to mirror Hackage

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sun Dec 5 04:34:16 CET 2010

On 12/4/10 2:21 PM, Riad S. Wahby wrote:
> Ozgur Akgun<ozgurakgun at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> This is a very generous offer. However, I must say I like the following idea
>> more:
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/efw38/
>> reminder_hackagehaskellorg_outage_tomorrow_due_to/c17u7nk

That sounds like a great idea.

The 501(c)(3) I mean. The distributed hosting is nice too, though I'd
like to see the 501(c)(3) formed before donating, just so we can get
official reports and all that. But once that's up, I'm definitely
willing to contribute.

FWIW, I've been on the board of directors for a 501(c)(3), helped write
their bylaws, and know a few people in the business (lawyers, etc). I'm
willing to offer advice, effort, and references whenever the committee
decides to do this.

> I'd support this, but I'm strongly in favor of the use of WePay.com over
> PayPal for collecting funds. The former's shady history is a matter of
> public record.

Semantic Parse Fail: did you mean "the latter" or "strongly opposed to"?

> Alternatively, I'd also be willing to throw some of my own bandwidth and
> disk space towards a mirror.

For a scalable solution I think we should be aiming for both (1) a
distributed "central" server, and (2) mirrors around the globe. The
former gives reliability to the main site, but the latter help for
locality and loadbalancing as well as failover.

--
Live well,
~wren