[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HaLVM 1.0: the Haskell Lightweight Virtual Machine

Jason Jason at JasonKnight.us
Wed Dec 1 02:29:14 CET 2010

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 02:16:07PM -0800, Adam Wick wrote:

> > Galois, Inc. is pleased to announce the immediate release of the

> > Haskell Lightweight Virtual Machine (or HaLVM), version 1.0. The

> > HaLVM is a port of the GHC runtime system to the Xen hypervisor,

> > allowing programmers to create Haskell programs that run directly on

> > Xen's "bare metal." Internally, Galois has used this system in

> > several projects with much success, and we hope y'all will have an

> > equally great time with it.

> > What might you do with a HaLVM? Pretty much anything you want. :)

> > Explore designs for operating system decomposition, examine new

> > notions of mobile computation with the HaLVM and Xen migration, or

> > find interesting network services and lock them inside small, cheap,

> > single-purpose VMs.

I had seen a paper which implemented something like this with OCaml. And
what do you know? Here's a running, open-source, available-now version in

Congrats to Galois for open sourcing this. Now let the collaboration begin.

Would it be possible to run HaLVM on Amazon EC2?
Jason M. Knight
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering '13
Texas A&M University
Cell: 512-814-8101