[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HaLVM 1.0: the Haskell Lightweight Virtual Machine

Jason Jason at JasonKnight.us
Wed Dec 1 02:29:14 CET 2010

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 02:16:07PM -0800, Adam Wick wrote:

> > Galois, Inc. is pleased to announce the immediate release of the

> > Haskell Lightweight Virtual Machine (or HaLVM), version 1.0. The

> > HaLVM is a port of the GHC runtime system to the Xen hypervisor,

> > allowing programmers to create Haskell programs that run directly on

> > Xen's "bare metal." Internally, Galois has used this system in

> > several projects with much success, and we hope y'all will have an

> > equally great time with it.

> > What might you do with a HaLVM? Pretty much anything you want. :)

> > Explore designs for operating system decomposition, examine new

> > notions of mobile computation with the HaLVM and Xen migration, or

> > find interesting network services and lock them inside small, cheap,

> > single-purpose VMs.

I had seen a paper which implemented something like this with OCaml. And
what do you know? Here's a running, open-source, available-now version in
Haskell.

Congrats to Galois for open sourcing this. Now let the collaboration begin.

Would it be possible to run HaLVM on Amazon EC2?
--
Jason M. Knight
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering '13