[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage on Linux

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 14:01:59 EDT 2010

On 29 August 2010 18:06, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> DLLs can be put into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or equivalent (e.g. Windows NT
> liked to install itself in C:\WINNT instead of C:\WINDOWS).  LIB files are
> less standard and I'm under the impression that every IDE uses its own
> notion of where to put them (and may not use the registry in a non-opaque way).
>
> BTW, if there *is* some standard registry tree that can be used for this, it
> should be possible to provide a Windows version of pkg-config that would
> hide most of this.  Replacing autoconf is harder, though it might be
> possible to work from configure.in (or even configure.am when automake is
> involved).

Windows has a standard place for header files

<path-to-MinGW>\MinGW\include

Similary for .a's and .o's:

<path-to-MinGW>\MinGW\lib

For "/usr/local" installs the path is:

<path-to-msys>\msys\1.0\local

with bin, include, lib and share comfortably placed in local.

./configure && make && make install will do the right thing for
installing source packages. Binary packages are available from MinGW's
repository.

Its a defacto standard, but its still a standard. If people are using
Cygwin or Microsoft's Unix compatibility layer, Visual C or even the
parts of MinGW distributed with GHC, they aren't documenting their
successes so no-one else can follow them, for all intents and purposes
MinGW/Msys is the only game in town.

[Caveat - Cygwin is fine for developing if you just want a good shell
and aren't working with FFI bindings].