[Haskell-cafe] Re: Announce: Significant performance improvements for Data.Map

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Sun Aug 29 13:39:00 EDT 2010

Don Stewart <dons <at> galois.com> writes:

> Proposal: Significant performance improvements for Data.Map

sounds great! I use Data.Map/Set a lot. Although I guess
one reason for their popularity is, well, their popularity -
as they used to ship with ghc. And there never was a universally
accepted collections "framework" (type classes)
that would allow to exchange implementations easily.
Even with such a framework, it might not be that easy.

>   52. http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/containers/containers.pdf

for the transformations mentioned there:
instead of applying them manually,
one would want to have them provided by the compiler?
I guess that's a question for a follow-up paper.

(I generally avoid/hate to rewrite my programs systematically,
"just" for performance reasons.)

J.W.