[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: Hackage on Linux

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Aug 28 09:30:43 EDT 2010

On 28/08/10 02:15, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 28 August 2010 11:09, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> On 8/27/10 05:58 , Simon Farnsworth wrote:
>>> If you don't mind, I'd like a proper reference for this; looking at the
>>> Linux kernel documentation as you suggest tells me that the kernelspace to
>>> userspace ABI is supposed to be 100% stable, such that I can take all the
>>> binaries (including shared libraries) from an i386 Linux 2.0 system, and
>>> run them in a chroot on my x86-64 Linux 2.6.35 system.
>>
>> Maybe it's "supposed" to be, but even with more recent stuff (like, say,
>> binary GHC releases --- which use glibc shared even if Haskell libs aren't)
>> I quite often see programs fail to run because the kernel changed something
>> and the kernel/userspace interface changed as a result.  A written policy
>> is worthless if it isn't followed.
>
> Well, I have no need to recompile glibc and packages that depend upon it
> every time I update my kernel...  So maybe glibc changes, but not the kernel
> AFAICT.

I've been following this part of the discussion with some interest.  Mainly
because I've been a Linux user since kernel version 1.2, and I've
*never* had
any of the problems people mention here.  So I'm wondering, what are you
doing
to your systems?

/M

magnus@therning.org           Jabber: magnus@therning.org