[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and SciTE (was: Hackage on Linux)

C. McCann cam at uptoisomorphism.net
Fri Aug 27 13:49:47 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> C. McCann wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Andrew Coppin
>> <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Unfortunately, I haven't found anything for Windows yet which has syntax
>>> hilighting for Haskell.
>>>
>>> I use SciTE, which has hilighting for a bazillion languages (including
>>> XML
>>> and JSON), but not Haskell sadly.
>>>

>> Veering somewhat offtopic, but last time I checked, SciTE does have
>> lexer support for Haskell, it just doesn't actually include (for
>> unknown reasons) a language properties file to go with it.
>
> OK. Well maybe it's just the version I've got then? Or maybe, as you say,
> because it's not enabled I don't know it's there.

Going by the Scintilla release history, it's been in there for about
five years, but you wouldn't find it just by using SciTE, since all
the menu options and such are controlled by the .properties files,
none of which mention Haskell...

Anyway, if the version you have is less than five years old, you
should be able to drop the file I linked to alongside the other
language files, make a few global properties changes to add Haskell to
the menus, probably a couple other minor things, and be good to go.
I'd offer more detail, but I set mine up when I first started learning
Haskell (about a year ago) and have since forgotten what needed to be
done.

> Ah yes. The reason I seldom update SciTE is that it then takes hours to put
> all the configuration back to the way I like it. (Especially if option names
> have changed or defaults are different now.)
>
> SciTE is a nice editor, but not especially well documented. (And, what, they
> haven't made a configuration editor yet? :-P )

Yes, well. SciTE isn't so much an editor as a bit of trivial code to
demonstrate the functionality of the Scintilla editor widget, which
people (such as myself) insist on using as if it were a proper editor.
If you want something friendlier, I'm afraid you're on your own.
Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any Haskell bindings for
Scintilla...

- C.