[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage on Linux

Mathew de Detrich deteego at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 05:50:43 EDT 2010

I agree with this comment in regards to cabal building binaries for similar
reasons that John Macheam is. Cabal is fine for libraries (in fact I can
classify it as pretty damn good) but for binaries it is a different matter
for programs that don't use a simple build system/structure. Cabal is just
too inflexible, and then you have the issues with no uninstall (if the
binary also happens to create libraries) which just makes things more
painful

In all honesty, using a CMAKE like system for Haskell would have had a lot
more advantages then cabal for binaries.

The minute you have to install binaries on Windows using cabal that bring in
C (and other dependencies) and things are much more complicated then they
should be and are likely to break far too often then is considered sane

In my opinion this is one of the few things that is holding Haskell back in
regards to it being adopted by Windows users (among other things)