[Haskell-cafe] Haddock: Documentation of instances with un-documentable type arguments

Alexander McPhail haskell.vivian.mcphail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 06:59:09 EDT 2010

Hi,

Here,
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/graphviz/2999.10.0.1/doc/html/Data-GraphViz-Commands.html#t%3AGraphvizCanvas,
there is an example of the internal implementation leaking.

I was taught to separate interface from implementation.  For example, header
versus c/cc/cpp files.  The privacy of typeclasses of
GeneralNewTypedDeriving'ed variety, such as MonadReader and MonadState,
should be hidable.  I may want the programmer to know my operations, as
provided in the interface, are monadic (and thus sequencable, temporally
deterministic operations) but not allow them to set/get, ask, tell, fetch,
push, throw, or pass my implementational details.

Perhaps Haddock could exclude class instance reporting when it cannot find a
documentable link to a parameter?

Vivian
--
---
yolar et elver.

DISCLAIMER

This transmission contains information that may be confidential. It is
intended for the named addressee only. Unless you are the named addressee
you may not copy or use it or disclose it to anyone else.