[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Mathew de Detrich deteego at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 01:18:02 EDT 2010

In all honesty I think the issue is that archlinux AUR packages are being
generated in a very naive way (and not a Archlinux philosophy in general).
The whole point of AUR is that its supposed to make it very easy for people
to upload packages/libraries.

In my opinion putting such packages in AUR in the first place (apart from
the 'required' and 'basic' packages) was a mistake in the first place. I had
numerous issues with AUR haskell libraries before (because those packages
being in AUR kind of gives the impression they are supposed to be used over
cabal)

The thing is, libraries at least should be automated. There are just way too
many packages in Hackage for someone to go through and manually check if
something goes wrong, and you get the issues described previously in
conflicts of latest version and outdated versions of libraries installed
through AUR/cabal (and in my case having to manually go through and use
cabal2arch to fix things was taking up way too much time). C/C++ libraries
can be checked by hand because there aren't many of them (as mentioned
earlier) where as the 'Haskell' way of doing things is using lots of
smaller modularized libraries.

If people just wanted an auto udpate version of cabal that works through
arch's package management, then there should have just been a pacman wrapper
which when you install/update haskell libraries/packages, it creates a local
package through cabal2arch instead of using AUR.

You either have everything properly updated (assuming it doesn't fail
building for w/e reason) or if you want to 'clone' cabal onto AUR, then only
do it for the necessary/base/required packages which is easy to keep track
of