[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Aug 24 07:18:34 EDT 2010

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 24.08.2010, 09:30 +0100 schrieb Magnus Therning:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 06:50, Mathew de Detrich <deteego at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - in some situations doing a general update with arch (through clyde or
> > packer)  breaks ghc (last time it happened packer tried to uninstall/update
> > arch packages which failed because those packages had dependencies. The
> > files got removed but since unregister failed ghc thought they still
> > existed)
>
> This is arguably an error in the Arch packages.  The dependencies aren't quite
> as strict as they really should be.  I've taken the approach of never letting
> pacman update any haskell-* package.  Instead I do a small song-and-dance
> where I first remove the packages in question, and any package that depends on
> them, then I re-install what I just removed.

In Debian, this cannot happen any more, as libraries are tied to the
packages of their dependencies via the ABI hash used by ghc. (If I am
correctly understanding the symptoms). So using apt-get upgrade will
never break any Debian-installed packages.

It can however happen that your per-user cabal-install’ed packages
break, but this can be easily fixed by using cabal install again.

OTOH, you cannot expect Debian to always and immediately install the
latest Cabal versions – there are possibly good reasons for not
upgrading.

Greetings,
Joachim

--