[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: enumerator, an alternative iteratee package

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 07:57:45 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, RawIO.read looks ok:
>
> -- | Read up to the specified number of bytes, returning the number
> -- of bytes actually read.  This function should only block if there
> -- is no data available.  If there is not enough data available,
> -- then the function should just return the available data. A return
> -- value of zero indicates that the end of the data stream (e.g. end
> -- of file) has been reached.
>
> that seems pretty clear to me.  No?

It says that it "should only block if there is no data available".  I
assumed that fillReadBuffer has the same semantics.  If both do not
block if there is data, then hGetBuf would not wait for the buffer to
be filled, if I am reading its source correctly [1].  Either they do
block until the buffer is filled, or I'm misreading hGetBuf/bufRead.
=)

[1] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.12.2/html/libraries/base-4.2.0.1/src/GHC-IO-Handle-Text.html#line-820

Cheers! =)

--