[Haskell-cafe] feasability of implementing an awk interpreter.

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Aug 23 02:07:02 EDT 2010

On Aug 21, 2010, at 5:14 AM, Michael Litchard wrote:

> Thank you all for your encouragement. I need to think about the core
> functionality, and do some reading.

But what _is_ "the core functionality".
The Single Unix Specification can be browsed on-line.
There is no part of it labelled "core"; it's all required
or it isn't AWK.  There are weird little gotchas like
	File "foo" = '{ prin'
	File "bar" = 't 2 }'
	awk -f foo -f bar
is legal and is required to act the same as
	awk '{ print 2 }'
mawk fails this, and I don't blame it, and I don't really _care_.
Is that "core"?  Who knows?

Whatever the "core functionality" might be, YOU will have to define
what that "core" is.  There's no standard, or even common, sublanguage.