[Haskell-cafe] A cabal odyssey

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sun Aug 22 19:55:38 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 09:57:52AM +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> When I first started using Haskell, I got the impression that there were
> hundreds, maybe even thousands, of developers working on GHC. (After
> all, how else could you write such a huge codebase in less than two
> centuries?) But now it appears the number of active developers is nearer
> to 3. This is obviously a jaw-droppingly tiny number of people to be
> working on such a gigantic piece of software. If it's really true, it's
> amazing anything ever gets done at all!

Now you see the power of Haskell. By offloading tasks from your brain to
the type system you can tackle wildly larger tasks than you would be
able to with a lesser language. Haskell programs end up being a tiny
fraction of the size and complexity of programs in other languages to
acomplish the same task and the difference gets more pronounced as
programs get larger. It is how I was able to write jhc for the most part
by myself. Haskell is an intelligence multiplier.

        John