[Haskell-cafe] A cabal odyssey

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sat Aug 21 10:01:41 EDT 2010

On Saturday 21 August 2010 15:35:08, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> A Bazillion is an imaginary number meant to indicate something extremely
> large: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazillion#-illion

Yes, but 'extremely large' numbers mean different things, depending on
whether we talk about for example midges in Scotland (bazillion >= 10^20),
people in a football stadium (bazillion >= 5*10^4) or people at your
sister's wedding (bazillion >= 50).

So how much is a bazillion when it comes to Haskell programmers?

> Since the population of the planet is roughly 6 Billion, I would guess
> that Andrew is under the miscomprehension that aliens make up the vast
> majority of Haskell users

Ordinary people don't use Haskell, so if you're using Haskell, you're ipso
facto an alien ;-)

> (or else he is taking into account everyone
> who will ever use Haskell as well, since after all Haskell will
> eventually replace all other inferior languages to become the One True
> Language!).

That'd be Haskell''' rather than Haskell.

> > It's a kind of magic.
>
> I believe Don wrote a successor to lambdabot to generate all of his
> libraries for him, and Galois is just a front to make it appear that
> multiple people are working on these libraries when in reality it's just
> his bot.

Or that.