[Haskell-cafe] Re: Handling absent maintainers

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 02:25:03 EDT 2010

2010/8/17 Geoffrey Mainland <mainland at eecs.harvard.edu>:
> On 08/17/2010 12:28, Ben Millwood wrote:
>> 2010/8/17 Jonas Almström Duregård <jonas.duregard at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has there been any progress with this package? Like you I have also
>>> tried to contact Matt and like you I have ended up making my own
>>> version of src-meta :). When someone assumes maintainership of this
>>> package I would like to discuss integrating some additions I made to
>>> the Translation module.
>>>
>>> /Jonas
>>>

>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>> Sorry about the delay. In my version of haskell-src-meta I basically
>> replaced the entire Language.Haskell.TH.Instances.Lift module with
>> derivations from the th-lift package whose latest version currently
>> doesn't build [1]. I had been in contact with the maintainer of the
>> package who has prepared a version 0.5 and was waiting for them to
>> upload it so that I could use it as a dependency, but I haven't heard
>> from them in a week or so. I'll try emailing them again, and as soon
>> as 0.5 is on hackage I will go ahead with my upload.
>>
>> I suppose since there's no reason why I deserve maintainership more
>> than you you could just go ahead and upload your version instead. You
>> can see exactly what I've done at my github repository [2].
>>
>> Yours,
>> Ben Millwood
>>
>> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/th-lift-0.4
>> [2] http://github.com/benmachine/haskell-src-meta
>
> I'm also waiting on a 6.12-compatible version of haskell-src-meta so I
> can release a version of my package for quasiquoting C/CUDA. I pulled
> Mark's changes to create a version that maintains compatibility with
> version 2.3 of the template-haskell library (and therefore with GHC
> 6.10). Is there any chance we can keep backwards-compatibility? ;) I'm
> happy to help with patches and/or maintainership, of course.
>
> Geoff

I imagine maintaining compatibility across template-haskell versions
might be tricky. Prior to template-haskell-2.4.0.0, I believe there
was no TH support for kinds, and class contexts were simply Types
rebranded (not supporting equality constraints). So some
not-inconsiderable sections of code would need duplication, or we'd
need to deal with CPP which always struck me as a fragile and
inelegant solution. Of course, I welcome the patches to prove me wrong
:) or well, if you just want to take maintainership yourself, the
package is really as much yours as it is mine at this stage.

Ben