[Haskell-cafe] Re: String vs ByteString

Kevin Jardine kevinjardine at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 08:07:35 EDT 2010

On Aug 17, 1:55 pm, Tako Schotanus <t... at codejive.org> wrote:

> I'll repeat here that in my opinion a Text package should be good at
> handling text, human text, from whatever country. If I need to handle large
> streams of ASCII I'll use something else.

I would mostly agree.

However, a key use case for Text in my view is web applications.

A typical web page is composed of mostly ASCII tags interspersed with
(often) non-ASCII content.

I would argue that it is crucial that Text work well in this case.

"Well" in this context means "efficient enough to be used as the
standard format for most web applications".

I do not know enough about text algorithms to recommend a more
detailed meaning for "efficient enough".

Kevin