[Haskell-cafe] Re: Sifflet dependencies

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 16 17:09:02 EDT 2010

Don Stewart wrote:
> So that's pretty simple.

This is one of those "2 > 3 for sufficiently large 2" things, eh? ;-)

> 'sifflet' requires cairo ==0.11.0 and pango.

Indeed.

> But since
> pango doesn't work with cairo 0.11.0, the package can't be built.

Uh... it seemed to build just fine for me (when I did it all manually).
I'm not sure I see what the problem is here. I made Cabal install 0.11.0
of each package, by hand, one at a time, and it never complained of any
unfulfilled dependencies, and the end result was a runnable program. So
I'm just puzzled why it couldn't figure out that you can do that by itself.

> Those specific versions of packages are overly constrained. They should follow the PVP, and be thus,
>
>     0.11.*

Yeah, that seems to be the root of the problem.