[Haskell-cafe] Re: String vs ByteString

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Sun Aug 15 15:01:20 EDT 2010

Quoth Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>,
> And if you fail to recognise what a grave mistake placing performance
> before correctness is, you end up with things like buffer overflow
> exploits, SQL injection attacks, the Y2K bug, programs that can't handle
> files larger than 2GB or that don't understand Unicode, and so forth.
> All things that could have been almost trivially avoided if everybody
> wasn't so hung up on absolute performance at any cost.
>
> Sure, performance is a priority. But it should never be the top
> priority. ;-)

You should never have to choose.  Not to belabor the point, but to
dismiss all that as the work of morons who weren't as wise as we are,
is the same mistake from the other side of the wall - performance counts.
If you solve the problem by assigning a priority to one or the other,
you aren't solving the problem.

	Donn Cave, donn at avvanta.com