[Haskell-cafe] Re: A GHC error message puzzle

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 16:13:04 EDT 2010

On 14/08/10 02:30, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> So it's a bug in the garbage collector.  It's closing a handle that
> clearly is still reachable, otherwise this would not have happened.

The handle is in fact not reachable from the roots, because the thread
that points to it is also not reachable.

More about it in this ticket:

Some rationale from that ticket:

"You may argue that a reference from a thread, even an unreachable one,
should keep a ForeignPtr alive. But it's equally valid to argue the
reverse: a reference from a finalizer should keep a thread alive - you
don't want a thread to be considered deadlocked if it can be unblocked
by a finalizer. We can't have both, because then a cycle between a
finalizer and a thread would never be collected even when both were
unreachable."

So while we can flip this decision, it would have other undesirable
consequences.  I suppose I don't really have a good handle on how often
you want one behaviour vs. the other - feedback welcome.  Either way the
GC has to do two extra phases after tracing from the roots: trace from
the finalizers and then the unreachable threads, or vice versa.

Cheers,
	Simon