[Haskell-cafe] Question about memory usage

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 13:33:36 EDT 2010

> In the example above, fiblist is a global variable, so the answer to "when
> does it get freed?" would be "never". (I believe it's called a CAF leak.)

Is that actually true? I've heard lots of references to this, but I'm not
sure it is true. Sure, it's harder for it to get collected when everyone can
potentially access it, but the mechanisms for checking who holds pointers to
a value are still valid for CAFS, and collection can still work on them, I
think. The commentary at http://is.gd/ehEuL seems to suggest that CAFs can
be garbage collected, too.

My apologies for confusing the issue, if this is not correct, though!
Dan