[Haskell-cafe] Is bumping the version number evil, if it's not mandated by the PVP?

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Sat Aug 14 05:13:19 EDT 2010

Hello,

I wonder whether (and how) I should increase the version number of a
library when the API does not change but the implementation gets more
efficient.

Should I bump a.b.C or even a.B to signal that it's worth using the
new version or should I bump only a.b.c.D such that packages that
depend on a.b get installed with the new version automatically?

When bumping only a.b.c.D, the new version is not installed as a
dependency if the old version already is installed (unless the new
version is explicitly demanded.) It seems bumping a.b.c.D has
advantages for some users and disadvantages for others.

Hence, I guess I should make a major version bump. Is it bad habit to
make a major version bump if the API does not change?

Maybe I should simply change the API too ;)

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)