[Haskell-cafe] Re: String vs ByteString

Kevin Jardine kevinjardine at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 10:24:43 EDT 2010

I'm interested to see this kind of open debate on performance,
especially about libraries that provide widely used data structures
such as strings.

One of the more puzzling aspects of Haskell for newbies is the large
number of libraries that appear to provide similar/duplicate
functionality.

The Haskell Platform deals with this to some extent, but it seems to
me that if there are new libraries that appear to provide performance
boosts over more widely used libraries, it would be best if the new
code gets incorporated into the existing more widely used libraries
rather than creating more code to maintain / choose from.

I think that open debate about performance trade-offs could help
consolidate the libraries.

Kevin