[Haskell-cafe] universal quantification is to type instantiations as existential quantification is to what

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 13:42:37 EDT 2010

The existential is a pair where one component is a type, and the type of the
second component depends on the value (i.e., which type went in the first
component) of the first. It's often called a sigma type when you have full
dependent types.

So your exists a. (Int -> a) -> [Int] -> [a] type might hypothetically be
represented as (assuming you write an instance for Bool):

(*, (\a -> (Int -> a) -> [Int] -> [a])) -- the type, where * is the kind of
types
(Bool, <some function of type (Int -> Bool) -> [Int] -> [a]>)

You can translate to and from forall and exists by currying, since one is a
function and the other is a pair, but not in the form you asked. It'd look a
lot more like curry/uncurry in regular haskell :)

Hope I wasn't too unclear!
Dan