[Haskell-cafe] Re: Can we come out of a monad?

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 10 13:06:48 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Ertugrul Soeylemez's message of Tue Aug 10 03:40:02 -0400 2010:
> Then you can only run evalCont, if r = a, which makes that function
> quite pointless:
>
>   evalCont :: Cont r r -> r
>   evalCont = runCont id

Ah, yes, that was what I was imagining.  I don't think the function is
useless (though it is pointless ;-); it lets you transform continuation-style
code into normal code.  Also, r is usually not fixed (unless you use mapCont
or similar), so it might be more accurately described as Cont a a -> a.

Cheers,
Edward