[Haskell-cafe] zip-archive performance/memmory usage

Neil Brown nccb2 at kent.ac.uk
Tue Aug 10 07:35:31 EDT 2010

On 10/08/10 00:29, Pieter Laeremans wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying some haskell scripting. I'm writing a script to print some
> information
> from a zip archive.  The zip-archive library does look nice but the
> performance of zip-archive/lazy bytestring
> doesn't seem to scale.
>
> Executing :
>
>    eRelativePath $ head $ zEntries archive
>
> on an archive of around 12 MB with around 20 files yields
>
> Stack space overflow: current size 8388608 bytes.
>

> The script in question can be found at :
>
> http://github.com/plaeremans/HaskellSnipplets/blob/master/ZipList.hs
>
> I'm using the latest version of haskell platform.  Are these libaries
> not production ready,
> or am I doing something terribly wrong ?

I downloaded your program and compiled it (GHC 6.12.1, zip-archive
0.1.1.6, bytestring 0.9.1.5).  I ran it on the JVM src.zip (20MB, ~8000
files) and it sat there for a minute (67s), taking 2.2% memory according
to top, then completed successfully.  Same behaviour with -O2.  Which
compares very badly in time to the instant return when I ran unzip -l on
the same file, but I didn't see any memory problems.  Presumably your
archive is valid and works with unzip and other tools?

Thanks,

Neil.