[Haskell-cafe] Re: a random numbers generator with a good 'split'

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Mon Aug 9 09:02:16 EDT 2010

Hello Petr,

the mersenne-random package is quite low-level and uses explicit
destructive update, so it can only be used with the IO monad.  Same with
other fast generators like mwc-random.  This is incompatible with the
RandomGen and Random classes, which can only model a pure interface.

About splitting a PRNG:  A high quality PRNG can be splitted by using
its own output to derive arbitrarily many child states.  If the state is
just a number, in many cases you can derive PRNGs by adding a constant.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/