[Haskell-cafe] Preview the new haddock look and take a short survey

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 05:30:41 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> The great thing about the Haddock redesign is that the content has been
> separated from the style.  If opinions about the style are sufficiently
> divided we can provide a style switcher on the docs we ship with GHC, and
> make that the default for Cabal-generated docs.  Although the opinions I've
> seen so far suggest that the majority of people prefer the new style.

I agree. The most important thing about this change is that it allows people
to play with styling more easily. As a bonus we get a new default style that
looks more modern than the old style.

My personal preference would be for the style to have a left hand menu, like
the Python docs. It's now possible for me to play with that idea and, if the
result is convincing enough, try to convince other Haskellers that it should
be the default. If I can't convince others, I can always use a browser style
switcher to have the docs render the way I want in my own browser.

Cheers,
Johan