[Haskell-cafe] Is there any experience using Software Transactional Memory in substantial applications?

Serguey Zefirov sergueyz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 15:03:06 EDT 2010

Recently we discussed Haskell and especially types in Russian part of
LiveJournal and of course we talk about STM.

My opponent gave me that link:
http://logicaloptimizer.blogspot.com/2010/06/so-microsofts-experiments-with-software.html

It says that performance with STM in Microsoft Research was more than horrible.

I failed to find convincing counter-evidence on the web. Not for
Haskell, even for Java/C#/C++.

So I asking Haskell-cafe for clarification. Do anyone here have an
experience with STM in computing-intensive tasks? Did it help there?
What are the possible reasons for STM failure in MR?