[Haskell-cafe] Re: [web-devel] statically compiled css

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Aug 8 07:00:45 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Tim Matthews <tim.matthews7 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:
>
>> Quick update: I'm including the "Stylish" code in the hamlet package now,
>> and renaming it to "Camlet" (CSS-hamlet). I'm also including something
>> called "Jamlet", which doesn't do much besides variable interpolation. As
>> you might guess, it's for Javascript. I mention it at the end of my most
>> recent blog post[1].
>>
>> Michael
>>

> While It's just a name and not really important: hamlet was haml so I first
> imagined sasset, sasslet or another name from one of the works of
> Shakespeare but I then really liked stylish as I thought it would tell that
> something with solid foundations and theory could still appear, hip and
> pretty.
>
> What is important though is the code. This is absolutely great and success
> just keeps getting harder to avoid.
>
> This is by no means a final decision; I'm open to being convinced that
other names are better. But I'll point out the main reason for the
Camlet/Jamlet name choice: easy to remember and type. I found "stylish" to
be much harder to get out than "camlet"; that might just be because I'm so
used to hamlet already, but that's exactly my goal here: make these three
templating systems work together nicely to make the developers life a little
bit easier.

Michael