[Haskell-cafe] iPhone/Android and Haskell [Was: Embedded funcional programming?]

Mathew de Detrich deteego at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 21:28:58 EDT 2010

Although I know that ARM basically has monopoly for chipsets on mobile
devices, that doesn't mean there couldn't be a chipset used that isn't ARM
and runs android (and what if that device happened to be really popular in
the future?)

The main issue however, as I mentioned before, is the fact that from what I
read on the Android site, proper Android apps (as in ones that you can get
through the market place), you are forced to use the Java API to interface
with android (and the NDK for native code generation if required). I believe
what people would want the option of creating proper Android apps

So it would just be a difference between using Java + ARM ASM (through LLVM
I suppose) or Java + NDK (through FFI??). The latter, actually being
supported by Google, is "guaranteed" to work on any android device, ARM or
not

The other option is we could just wait for someone to make an
Android backend through LLVM :), That of course is the last option, which
would also mean that any language that compiles down to LLVM would be able
to run on Android as well.