[Haskell-cafe] Question about rpc design

lysgaard morten at lysgaard.no
Fri Aug 6 07:57:43 EDT 2010

Hi, I'm tinkering with making a DHT im my spare time this summer. For this i
need to do some unusual rpc calls. You see in a dht a query (rpc) is first
sent from you (node "a") to a node "b" which probably doesn't know the
answer. If it still does know the answer it returns the value of the query
to node "a".
This gives the latency: 2*latency(a,b)

On the other hand, if i t doesn't it sends a new rpc to a node "c" more
probable to know the ansver.
Then the latency is: latency(a,b) + 2*latency(b,c) + latency(b,a)

While what I would like is this: latency(a,b) + latency(b,c) + latency(c,a)
you see that for many forwards this adds considerable latency and also many
more calls than nessesary.
Is this way of sending messages already known? Does it have a name? And if
not, how hard do you think it would be to hack some rpc library to implement
this?