[Haskell-cafe] Problem with System.Timeout in Windows

Matthias Reisner matthias.reisner at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 5 14:04:13 EDT 2010

Am 05.08.2010 07:35 schrieb Adolfo Builes:
> Hi All:
>
> I have been trying to use System.timeout in windows, but for some
> reason it doesn't work, a concrete example is:
>
> import Network.HTTP
> import System.Timeout
>
> main = do
>   rsp <- timeout 10000000  $ simpleHTTP $ getRequest "http://10.1.2.3"
>   case rsp of
>     Just rsp -> print $ show  rsp
>     Nothing  -> error "Nothing"
>
> In this case I would expect to receive "Nothing" after 10 seconds, but
> it ignores the timeout function.

Hi Adolfo,

the same behaviour for me with GHC 6.10.4 on Windows XP. If I set the
timeout value to 0, I get

    *** Exception: Nothing

immediately. Any other value results in

    *** Exception: connect: failed (Connection timed out (WSAETIMEDOUT))

after about 20 seconds. I don't know where the problem is, but I have
similar problems with the threadDelay function. There must be something
broken somewhere for some windows systems.

Regards,

Matthias