[Haskell-cafe] Preview the new haddock look and take a short survey

Dino Morelli dino at ui3.info
Thu Aug 5 10:50:02 EDT 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Johan Tibell wrote:

>>On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Dino Morelli <dino at ui3.info> wrote:
>>
>>One thing I haven't seen anyone else comment on is the width of the new
>>docs. I have a large (26") monitor and use the browser full-screen (with
>>xmonad, so even more screen space). When I load these pages, particularly
>>the non-frame one, something like 50% of my screen real-estate is empty
>>whitespace on either side of the doc content. There is also wasted space
>>in the frames version, just a little less of it. I wish the docs were
>>using that space like the current Haddock does. Is the plan to use a
>>fixed width like this?
>>

>Yes. There's research suggesting that the line length should be between 65 and 75 characters per line.

I understand, I've read that too in the context of publishing with long
paragraph style material.

But I think the majority of generated programming API docs are not done
with fixed width. Here are several examples:

JavaDoc at Sun:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/

Scala API docs, very recently redesigned for 2.8.x:
http://www.scala-lang.org/api/current/index.html

Google Android API docs:
http://developer.android.com/reference/packages.html

Erlang docs:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/

Microsoft F# lang and API docs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/dd233154%28VS.100%29.aspx

The Python Standard Library:
http://docs.python.org/library/

Ruby-doc:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/

I did find one that uses fixed width though, this Perl5 documentation
site:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlapi.html

--
Dino Morelli  email: dino at ui3.info  web: http://ui3.info/d/  irc: dino-