[Haskell-cafe] Preview the new haddock look and take a short survey

Dino Morelli dino at ui3.info
Thu Aug 5 10:50:02 EDT 2010

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Johan Tibell wrote:

>>On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Dino Morelli <dino at ui3.info> wrote:
>>One thing I haven't seen anyone else comment on is the width of the new
>>docs. I have a large (26") monitor and use the browser full-screen (with
>>xmonad, so even more screen space). When I load these pages, particularly
>>the non-frame one, something like 50% of my screen real-estate is empty
>>whitespace on either side of the doc content. There is also wasted space
>>in the frames version, just a little less of it. I wish the docs were
>>using that space like the current Haddock does. Is the plan to use a
>>fixed width like this?
>Yes. There's research suggesting that the line length should be between 65 and 75 characters per line.

I understand, I've read that too in the context of publishing with long
paragraph style material.

But I think the majority of generated programming API docs are not done
with fixed width. Here are several examples:

JavaDoc at Sun:

Scala API docs, very recently redesigned for 2.8.x:

Google Android API docs:

Erlang docs:

Microsoft F# lang and API docs:

The Python Standard Library:

I did find one that uses fixed width though, this Perl5 documentation

Dino Morelli  email: dino at ui3.info  web: http://ui3.info/d/  irc: dino-
pubkey: http://ui3.info/d/dino-4AA4F02D-pub.gpg  twitter: dino8352