[Haskell-cafe] Re: can Haskell do everyting as we want?

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Wed Aug 4 08:37:35 EDT 2010

> My understanding of tab-completion in IDEs for Java, etc. is that it
> just displayed every single possible class method for a particular
> object value, and then did some kind of matching based upon what you
> typed to narrow down the list, not that it was type-based.

With Eclipse, try something like (within some method)
  String s = "foo";  s.   (stop after the dot)
and you see only methods of String (and Object).
To me, that seems very much "type-based".

Of course this requires the integration
of parser and static analyzer with the editor -
and you need to be able to parse and analyze partial programs.

J.W.