[Haskell-cafe] can Haskell do everyting as we want?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Aug 4 03:44:38 EDT 2010

Hi Qi,

have a look at brainfuck language. Its turing complete as Python, Haskell, etc
are. Then you'll learn that the quesntion "Can I do everything possible"
is not at all important. You have to ask instead:  Can I complete my
task in reasonable time and with reasonable runtime performance etc.
  For most use cases Haskell is a good choice - the only real things
I'm missing are
- nice stack traces
- completion support - because I find it relaxing not having to looking
  all names. This could be fixed to some extend though..

If you want to target JavaScript in browsers I'm not sure whether
Haskell is the best fit either.

If I were you I'd learn some Haskell - I don't think you'll regret it.
By reading the mailinglists, joining the chat room ocassionally you'll
learn a lot.

But if you have a real task to solve - have a look whether existing
solutions exist - thus "Use the best tool for the given problem".
Because recoding can sometimes take longer. And eg the Java community
has been much bigger in the past -> thus there are more libraries
available. Eg Haskell has no htmlunit yet which interpretes JavaScript
and simulates a headless browser etc.

Marc Weber