[Haskell-cafe] can Haskell do everyting as we want?

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Aug 3 19:29:03 EDT 2010

qiqi789:

> As more I learn haskell, I am more interested in this function
> programming language. I am intended to more focus on haskell than other
> languages like python, Java, or C++. But I am still wonder whether haskell can do everyting
> as other languages do, such as python, perl, Java and C++.
>
> Is there anyone happen to come into any tasks that haskell is not able
> to achieve?

Well, Haskell is a general purpose language, so it should be able to do
pretty much anything.

Here's a graphical representation of what Haskell is used for, based on
the number of packages on Hackage in that category:

    http://donsbot.wordpress.com/2009/01/24/what-is-haskell-good-for/

Most endeavors in computer programming are available in some form or
another on Hackage, so I'd say we have lived up to the goal of providing
a general purpose language.

One thing that is not well covered, due to the nature of the runtime, is
hard real time computing.

-- Don