[Haskell-cafe] Playing with ATs again

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:45:32 EDT 2010

So I believe the "final" way to do this, which is not yet implemented,
works something like this:

type family LeftToRight a
type family RightToLeft b

class (LeftToRight a ~ b, RightToLeft b ~ a) => Bijection a b where

I agree, the fact that this doesn't work is really dumb.

I used a slightly devious trick to solve this for Control.Coroutine[1]:

type family Dual a

-- what I wanted to write:
class (s ~ Dual (Dual s)) => Connect s where
    connect :: Session s a -> Session (Dual s) b -> (a,b)

-- what I actually wrote
class Connect s where
    connect :: (s ~ Dual (Dual s)) => Session s a -> Session (Dual s) b -> (a,b)

This was good enough to give the constraints I needed to implement
"connect" for each of the session operators.

  -- ryan

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Coroutine/0.1.0.0/doc/html/Control-Coroutine.html