[Haskell-cafe] Re: problem installing pivotal

rustom rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 08:11:19 EDT 2010

On Aug 3, 10:10 am, Ivan Miljenovic <ivan.miljeno... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 August 2010 15:02, rustom <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried to install pivotal
> > According to the site I must do:
> > ghc  --make Main -fglasgow-exts -package plugins
>
> > I get
> > cant satisfy package plugins
>
> Which version of GHC are you using?  If you're using 6.12, then you're
> out of luck: plugins won't work with it yet.
?? Is 6.12 too young or too old??

> > I believe the more general problem is that one has to choose between
> > 'direct' cabal installs and using debian's packages.  At least this is
> > the same situation Ive seen before in python, ruby etc.
>
> Preferably, use a distro package if there is one.  If there isn't,
> then use cabal-install to install it to your home directory (which
> means you'll have to maintain it yourself).
>
> > So this is really 2 questions:
> > 1. How to remove this error and install pivotal
>
> cabal install pivotal (if you have GHC-6.10.*)

I am not sure how to resolve this: use cabal install and 'preferably
use a distro'

In any case with cabal install pivotal I get

cabal: There is no package named pivotal. Perhaps you need to run
'cabal
update' first?
(this was just after a cabal update)

Finally: Is it better to take up these (kind of) questions on the ghc
list rather than here?