[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: parsec2 - a fork or parsec circa 2.1

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Aug 2 10:36:22 EDT 2010

Hi,

Am Montag, den 02.08.2010, 06:34 -0500 schrieb Antoine Latter:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Ivan Miljenovic
> > <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> That said, if parsec2 is only a bug-fix branch of parsec-2.x, is there
> >> any particular reason work couldn't be done to improve the performance
> >> of parsec-3 when using the compatibility layer (and even improving the
> >> performance of parsec-3 overall) rather than a specific branch/fork?
> >
> > The release of parsec-3.1 dramatically improved the performance of
> > parsec3 to roughly parsec-2.1 levels. So I don't know of any downside
> > to switching over to the compatibility layer other the fact that it's
> > a much newer code-base, and that it's a much further departure
>
> How about I finish my sentences.
>
> My second downside was that parsec-3 is a much further departure from
> Haskell2010 than parsec-2.

with my Debian Haskell Group hat on, I would very much welcome a
convergence on _one_ parsec package, so that we don’t have to package
two. I’m happy with patching existing packages to use a parsec3
compatibility layer as long as the required changes are of the trivial,
type-checked kind or only affect the .cabal file :-). But I do need some
assurance that parsec3 is ready to replace parsec2, both performance and
reliability-wise.

Thanks,
Joachim

--