[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Takusen 0.8.6

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Sun Aug 1 13:59:11 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM, David Anderson <dave at natulte.net> wrote:

> Congrats on the release.
>
> Just one humble suggestion: your email assumes that the reader already
> knows what Takusen is. Reading the email, all I can infer is that it
> has something to do with databases, because of the ODBC reference. The
> only link in the email also does nothing to explain, since it just
> links to a ball of code. The README there also assumes that I already
> know that I want Takusen, and so doesn't bother to explain what it
> does, only how to use it.

Sorry about that.  The description from hackage:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Takusen

Takusen: Database library with left-fold interface, for PostgreSQL, Oracle,
SQLite, ODBC.

Takusen is a DBMS access library. Like HSQL and HDBC, we support arbitrary
SQL statements (currently strings, extensible to anything that can be
converted to a string).

Takusen's unique selling point is safety and efficiency. We statically
ensure all acquired database resources - such as cursors, connections, and
statement handles - are released, exactly once, at predictable times.
Takusen can avoid loading the whole result set in memory, and so can handle
queries returning millions of rows in constant space. Takusen also supports
automatic marshalling and unmarshalling of results and query parameters.
These benefits come from the design of query result processing around a
left-fold enumerator.

Currently we fully support ODBC, Oracle, Sqlite, and PostgreSQL.

> Ideally, release announcements should always include a 1-sentence
> executive summary of what the project is, before heading on to what is
> new. Say, "The Takusen team would like to announce the latest release
> of Takusen, 0.8.6. Takusen is <insert description here, 'cos I'm still
> not quite sure>. This is primarily a bugfix release..."

Thanks, I'll remember that.

Jason