[Haskell-cafe] Re: what's the best environment for haskell work?

rustom rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 12:33:44 EDT 2010

On Aug 1, 12:40 pm, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljeno... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> rustom <rustompm... at gmail.com> writes:
> > However I do have an issue regarding debian packaging.
>
> > At first I installed ghc
> > This brought in
>
> > ghc6 ghc6-doc libbsd-dev libgmp3-dev libgmpxx4ldbl
>
> > I also added haskell98-report haskell98-tutorial darcs
>
> > Then I discovered haskell-platform. I was pleased to discover that the
> > link took me directly to the squeeze repos so there is no version
> > mismatch between haskell-platorm and squeeze.
>
> > apt-getting haskell-platform gave me
>
> > alex cabal-install happy haskell-platform libghc6-cgi-dev
> > libghc6-deepseq-dev libghc6-glut-dev libghc6-haskell-src-dev
> > libghc6-html-dev libghc6-http-dev libghc6-hunit-dev
> > libghc6-network-dev libghc6-opengl-dev libghc6-parallel-dev
> > libghc6-parsec2-dev libghc6-quickcheck2-dev libghc6-stm-dev
> > libghc6-xhtml-dev
>
> > However when trying to compile ghc from source I got an error that
> > wanted ghc6-prof
> > So I got that
>
> Why are you trying to compile GHC from source if you have a distribution
> package and are using that?

Well... just stress testing my install but also I am interested in
haskell and unicode (squiggol anyone?) so thought I'd muck around a
bit in the sources.
Maybe premature I guess :-)

Actually I started with hugs (because I am a bit familiar with gofer
sources) but now that it looks that the most action is on the ghc
front I thought I'd look there.
As of now I am getting comfortable with ghci inside emacs