[Haskell-cafe] Re: what's the best environment for haskell work?

rustom rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 01:10:29 EDT 2010

On Jul 31, 7:21 pm, Joachim Breitner <m... at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, den 31.07.2010, 15:37 +0530 schrieb Rustom Mody:
>
> > Do most people who work with haskell use emacs/vi/eclipse or something
> > else??
>
> > Personal Note: I used gofer some 15 years ago.  At that time I hacked
> > up a emacs mode (I did not know of any then) along with some changes
> > to gofer to have gofer inside emacs rather than vi inside gofer.
>
> > Things have got more exciting now -- just trying to catch up!!
>
> > [Note: My preferrred/default OS is debian-squeeze]
>
> I’m using vim myself, but the Debian Haskell Team has packaged leksah
> and it is available in squeeze. If you have any problems with the
> packaging, we would like to hear about them.
>
> (So far, we had zero feedback from leksah users on Debian, so I don’t
> know if there exist any)
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

I guess I am going to start with emacs -- since that seems to work (re
Johan Tibell above).

However I do have an issue regarding debian packaging.

At first I installed ghc
This brought in

ghc6 ghc6-doc libbsd-dev libgmp3-dev libgmpxx4ldbl

I also added haskell98-report haskell98-tutorial darcs

Then I discovered haskell-platform. I was pleased to discover that the
link took me directly to the squeeze repos so there is no version
mismatch between haskell-platorm and squeeze.

apt-getting haskell-platform gave me

alex cabal-install happy haskell-platform libghc6-cgi-dev
libghc6-deepseq-dev libghc6-glut-dev libghc6-haskell-src-dev
libghc6-html-dev libghc6-http-dev libghc6-hunit-dev
libghc6-network-dev libghc6-opengl-dev libghc6-parallel-dev
libghc6-parsec2-dev libghc6-quickcheck2-dev libghc6-stm-dev
libghc6-xhtml-dev

However when trying to compile ghc from source I got an error that
wanted ghc6-prof
So I got that

Looking around in synaptic (gui for apt) I find that there are a large
number of libghc-somethings that I still have not got.

So then the question: Whats the real point of the haskell-platform
package -- if specific libraries have to be got separately?