[Haskell-cafe] Re: GSoC: Improving Cabal's Test Support

Richard G. richardg at richardg.name
Wed Apr 28 04:24:49 EDT 2010

I think that formatted plain-text output would be much better than XML,
something that is human-readable and relatively easy to parse via
machine.  Something similar to the GHC error output would work well
because developers are familiar with it.

Test <n>:<Result>
     <Location>
     <Error message>

E.g.,

Test 1:Passed
     src/Some/File.hs:23

Test 2:Failed
     src/Some/File.hs:27
     Expecting `4'; received `5'.

Test 3:Error
     src/Some/OtherFile.hs:39
     Unexpected exception.

This would keep the complexity low in Cabal and allow for easy
transformation to XML.

Richard G.