[Haskell-cafe] and [] = True; or [] = False

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Mon Apr 26 08:24:29 EDT 2010

Well, what's the sum of an empty list? Seems naturally that it's 0, but why?

Let's say that sum [] = x.

If we take two lists, say, l1 = [1,2,3] and l2 = [4,5], then

sum l1 + sum l2 = 6 + 9 = 15 = sum [1,2,3,4,5] = sum (l1 ++ l2)

We expect it to be the case even if one of the lists is empty, so

x + 9 = sum [] + sum l2 = <to be expected> = sum ([] ++ l2) = sum l2 = 9

Therefore, x = 0.

With "and" we have the same thing:

and [] = x

Let l1 = [True, True], l2 = [True, False]

and l1 && and l2 = True && False = False = and [True, True, True, False] = and (l1 ++ l2)

x && True = and [] && and l1 = <to be expected> = and ([] ++ l1) = and l1 = True

Therefore, x = True.